When selling a home, it’s important to make sure that everything is in good condition. The potential buyers will be looking at every little detail, so you need to make sure that your home looks its best. Here are three things you should improve on before putting your house on the market.
1. The Roof
If you’re selling your house, make sure the roof is in good condition. The buyer might need to know if there are any leaks or stains on the ceiling below, so it’s best to repair them before showing the home. When you assess the property, you can find out more here about whether you are going to need professional help. If needed, hire a contractor to inspect and repair any damage that might occur during an inspection.
How To Know If Your Roof Needs Fixing
It’s no secret that a well-maintained roof can add value to your home. A new roof may be one of the best investments you make in your property. Not only does it protect your home from the elements, but it can also help improve energy efficiency and keep your family safe and dry. So how do you know if your roof needs fixing? Here are the three most obvious signs:
- Leaks in the roof – One of the most obvious signs your roof needs fixing is a leak. Look out for water sports on the ceilings and walls, ask family members if they have noticed any leaks, or check to see if there are pools of water around downspouts when it rains. The sooner you notice a leak, the easier it will be to fix it before it damages your ceiling and walls. In addition to getting soggy, damaged drywall could lead to mold growth and musty smells throughout your home.
- Cracked shingles – Noticing cracks in shingles is another telltale sign that your roof might be on its way out. Exposed nails and deteriorating shingles are also potential signs of roof damage, especially if they’re located in the upper reaches of your roof where exterior water can’t reach them. If you spot cracks or damaged shingles on top of your house, other areas have likely been compromised as well.
- Moss growing on your roof – Moss is a sure sign that your drainage system isn’t working properly and is prone to leaks. In addition to causing leaks, moss can also lead to moss rot, which causes wood beams and floor supports underneath the structure of the home to deteriorate.
2. Windows and Doors
The condition of the windows and doors also plays an important role when selling your house. If they are not in good condition, it’s wise to replace them. Make sure that the window panes aren’t cracked or broken, and that all locks function properly.
How To Know If They Need To Be Replaced
If you’re thinking about replacing your windows or doors, there are a few signs that will let you know when it’s time. Here are three ways to determine if the condition of your windows and doors need replacing:
- Leaks – If water is leaking through cracks in your window panes, frames, or sills, then this is an indication that they need replacing. Not only can leaks cause damage to your ceiling and walls underneath, but mold growth could also occur if the leak isn’t fixed promptly.
- Rust around locks – When locks start rusting inside them, it may be time to replace them because this indicates wear and tear over time. Also, be aware of sticky locks – another sign of wear-and-tear damage. Loose exterior door handles may also mean that your lock is damaged and needs replacing.
- Cracked window panes – Cracked window panes are another clear sign that they need to be replaced. You’ll notice the cracks as part of the design on your windows, or you might notice them forming overtime on single-pane windows. If water can seep through a crack, mold growth could occur due to moisture damage.
3. The Interior Walls And Ceilings
You want potential buyers to see your house at its best, so make sure the walls and ceilings look the very best as well. Before showing the home to potential buyers, use some fresh paint and primer on any damaged areas such as holes or dents for the walls and ceilings to look their best.
How To Know If You Need To Paint
Aside from providing a more professional first impression, painting your interior walls can help improve the aesthetics of the property itself. But how do you know when it’s time to apply some fresh paint? Most prominent signs include holes in the wall or ceiling, dents in drywall, and wallpaper peeling.
Knowing how to make your house the best it can be before putting it up for sale is extremely important. By considering these three main issues, you’ll be able to sell your property at its maximum value and in the shortest amount of time.